Updated 14 September 2021
New guidance has been released for the new school term following step 4 of the roadmap.
Contingency framework: education and childcare settings
The guidance explains that:
- New thresholds for control measures to be enacted (whichever is smallest):
- 5 children, pupils, students or staff, who are likely to have mixed closely (cases are linked to each other), test positive for COVID-19 within a 10-day period; or
- 10% of children, pupils, students or staff who are likely to have mixed closely (cases are linked to each other),, test positive for COVID-19 within a 10-day period
For special schools these are:
- 2 children, pupils, students or staff, who are likely to have mixed closely (close contact of each other), test positive for COVID-19 within a 10-day period.
Reporting to Sandwell MBC (note Sandwell MBC are not informed of outbreaks in our settings by other methods, we need to be informed directly):
- Schools/ Settings with 5 linked cases or 10% of school (whichever is smallest) to email PHCovid19_Enquiries@sandwell.gov.uk (available 7 days a week 9am-5pm) for support immediately. We will advise on next steps.
Control methods available:
- Review and reinforce testing, hygiene and ventilation measures and consider steps to improve indoor ventilation, one-off enhanced cleaning, and whether activities could be taken outside, if appropriate.
Following discussions with Local Authority Health Protection or PHE following an Outbreak Meetings (Incident Management Team or IMT)
- Increase number of children carrying out or increase frequency of PCR and/or LFT testing in non-isolating close contacts (those under 18 and 6 months, double vaccinated adults).
- Reinstating bubbles and or face/coverings
- Restrictive attendance (only where necessary)
FAQ Sheet for COVID in Schools