A sleep routine is key!
- Try to sleep and wake at the same time every day and try to get the same amount of sleep each night
- Avoid napping but if you need to, do so for 20-30 minutes
- Keep a sleep diary
- Get out into natural light as soon as is practical in the morning
A good lifestyle contributes to good sleep
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Reduce alcohol intake and smoking
- Exercise regularly and at least 2 hours before bed
Winding down will help get your body ready for a good nights sleep
- Unwind and do something relaxing an hour before bed such as yoga, meditation, breathing exercises of reading
- A warm bath before bed can help you reach the ideal temperature for falling asleep
- Don’t go to bed full, thirsty of hungry
- Avoid caffeinated and sugary drinks 5-6 hours before bed
- Herbal tea before bed are good choices
- Avoid screen time an hour before bed
Make your bed your haven!
- Ensure your bedroom is cool, dark and quiet. This can be difficult at times depending on where you live and who you live with, but ear plugs, eye masks and some black-out blinds can be useful!
- Comfortable bed and pillows
If you’re struggling to fall asleep
- Try not to lie in bed for more than 15 minutes if you are struggling to get to sleep. Get up and do something relaxing i.e. read, listen to soft music, gentle yoga
- If its worries that are preventing you to get a good restful sleep, maybe try writing your worries down on paper before going to bed