Meet up, build relationships and make friends.
Connecting with people and what’s going on around you will support and enrich you every day.
It’s important for us to feel close to others, and be valued by those around us. So connect with your friends, family and people at work or neighbours. Have a conversation, make time for someone new and simply ask someone how their day is going.
Top tips to connect more
- show interest in a friend of colleague’s life
- have lunch with someone new
- text someone you haven’t contacted in a while
- ask a neighbour how they are
- make some time to spend with a friend or family member and do something fun together
- look at what’s going on in your local library or community centre
- find out about local groups you could join
Getting up and about can make you feel great!
Whether it’s gardening or going for a walk. There are loads of ways to move about in Sandwell. Be part of Sandwell’s Feel Good 6 and find out how you can get active and move more today.
Getting up and exercising more helps fight depression and anxiety. It doesn’t need to be intense physical activity- a quick stroll to the shops or taking the stairs instead of the lift can make a big difference.
Top tips to move more
- take the stairs instead of the lift
- park further away than you need to, so you have to walk a little further
- get off the bus one stop earlier
- go to an exercise class
- put the remote in another room so you have to get up and move around every time you want to change channel.
Take time, stop and focus on the moment; enjoy the outdoors.
Taking time to notice all the things going on around you will help you find what matters to you.
Looking up in the sky or simply trying a new place to visit can all help us become more aware.
Top tips to notice more
- turn off the TV when you are eating and take time to focus on the food and how it tastes
- take a deep breath and look around- what do you see?
- visit a shop you’ve never been in before
- walk to the local park and take time to notice what’s going on around you
- think about one thing that made you happy over the last few days
Try something new, see what’s out there and surprise yourself.
Learning something new is a great way to feel more confident as well as being fun.
Set a challenge you will enjoy achieving. It could be something simple like doing a puzzle or something bigger like attending a course.
Top tips to learn more
- try a new recipe and cook something different
- do a puzzle from the paper or find one online
- go along to a class or sign up to a course – there’s loads going on in Sandwell.
- brush up on your IT skills from a friend or relative
- learn a new word
Giving your time by doing something nice for someone can help you feel great.
Doing simple things like making a cup of tea or making time to listen to someone can really boost your wellbeing.
Top tips to give more
- offer to make a cup of tea at work
- give your unwanted clothes and bits to a charity shop
- help someone with their bags on the train or bus
- say thank you to someone who does something nice for you
- become a blood donor
- let another car pass in traffic
- help out at a school or community event