Too much alcohol in one sitting can lead to hangovers the next day.
This could be headaches, sickness, dizziness and dehydration.
There’s no quick fix, here are some tips to avoid a hangover, and to cope when you have one.
Tips to avoid hangovers.
- Drink within your limits. You know more than anyone what your body can cope with. Remember drinking more than 8 units in one sitting puts your body at risk of serious health conditions, like liver disease.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Drink water or juices between your alcoholic drinks, and drink some water before you go to sleep.
Key things to know:
- Drinking dark-coloured drinks can contain chemicals called congeners, which can make hangovers worse
- Drinking fizzy drinks speed up the absorption of alcohol into your system.
Treating a hangover
- The best way to deal with a hangover is to rehydrate the body. Drinking plenty of water will help your body deal with the painful symptoms.
- Painkillers can help with headaches, but make sure you read the label before taking any medicines.
- Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly, so try eating a banana or similar to kick start your body.
- Drinking more alcohol will not help. You may simply be delaying the impact of symptoms until the alcohol wears off again. You should wait 48 hours before drinking any more alcohol to give your body time to recover.
- Here’s some alcohol free alternatives to help you enjoy your drinking, without the negative impacts
Sandwell Sling- a tangy fruity drink
Ingredients: Pineapple juice, diet cherry coke, ginger ale and crushed ice. Lemon wedge and cherry to decorate
Add the crushed ice to a large glass. Poor 1/3 glass with pineapple juice, then add the diet cherry coke until the glass is 2/3rd full. Top with ginger ale. Place the lemon wedge to the rim, and cherry on top.
Oldbury punch- a light refreshing drink
Ingredients: grape juice, lemonade and sliced cucumbers. Large ice cubes and one slice of lemon
Place slices of cucumber round the outside of a small glass. And the ice cubes. Pour the grape juice into the glass, about 1/3rd way up. Then top with lemonade. Place the slice of lemon at the top of the glass
For more recipes visit drink aware