Too much alcohol in one sitting can lead to hangovers the next day.
This could be headaches, sickness, dizziness and dehydration.
There’s no quick fix, here are some tips to avoid a hangover and to cope when you have one.
Tips to avoid hangovers:
- Drink within your limits. You know more than anyone what your body can cope with. Remember drinking more than 8 units in one sitting puts your body at risk of serious health conditions like liver disease.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Drink water or fruit juices between your alcoholic drinks and drink some water before you go to sleep.
Key things to know:
- Drinking dark-coloured drinks can contain chemicals, congeners, which can make hangovers worse.
- Drinking fizzy drinks speeds up the absorption of alcohol into your system.
Treating a hangover:
- The best way to deal with a hangover is to rehydrate the body. Drinking plenty of water will help your body deal with the painful symptoms.
- Painkillers can help with headaches but make sure you read the label before taking any medicines.
- Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly, so try eating a banana or similar to kick start your body.
- Drinking more alcohol will not help. You may simply be delaying the impact of symptoms until the alcohol wears off again. You should wait 48 hours before drinking any more alcohol to give your body time to recover.
- Here’s some alcohol free alternatives to help you enjoy your drinking, without the negative impacts.