Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
City hospital has provided care for patients since it opened in 1889 as the Birmingham Union Infirmary, an extension to the workhouse based on the site. It originally comprised of a single corridor stretching for a quarter of a mile with nine ward blocks on either side along its length, a configuration recommended by Florence Nightingale. The infirmary later became the Dudley Road Infirmary, then Dudley Road Hospital and, more recently, City Hospital.
Today’s hospital provides a very broad array of clinical and support services.
City Hospital is also home to the Birmingham Treatment Centre, Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, Regional Gynae-Oncology Centre, West Midlands Poison Unit, and Skin Centre. It is also a major facility for sickle cell treatment in the region.
For more information, please visit: https://www.swbh.nhs.uk/about-us/our-hospitals/city-hospital/